Athletes Get It
Posted on August 19, 2021
by Don Shaughnessy
Leave a Comment
We can all learn from them. For the rest of us we have been trapped by our early schooling where the right answer is the only answer of value. Nothing could be more wrong for purposes of getting along in the real world.
Athletes understand winning, losing, goals, and work
Because they are part of their everyday life.
- I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
- Obstacles don’t have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.
- Winning isn’t always championships
- Impossible is not a fact. It’s an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It’s a dare. Impossible is temporary.
- Inside of a ring or out, ain’t nothing wrong with going down. Its staying down that’s wrong.
- I hated every minute of training, but I said, ‘Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life like a champion’
- You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take.
- A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.
- Procrastination is one of the most common and deadliest of diseases and its toll on success and happiness is heavy.
- If the world were perfect, it wouldn’t be.
- If you don’t know where you are going, you’ll end up someplace else
- If you don’t set goals, you can’t regret not reaching them.
- I think the thing about that was I was always willing to work; I was not the fastest or biggest player but I was determined to be the best football player I could be on the football field and I think I was able to accomplish that through hard work.
- Today I will do what others won’t, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can’t
- I think my secret is that there’s no shortcuts for hard work, determination and having that don’t give up attitude.
- The most rewarding things you do in life are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.
- Putting is like wisdom – partly a natural gift and partly the accumulation of experience.
- I’ve always made a total effort, even when the odds seemed entirely against me. I never quit trying; I never felt that I didn’t have a chance to win.
Coach John Wooden
- Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there
- Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do
- If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
Planning, hard work, learning from mistakes, and character make for a worthwhile life. It’s easy to be distracted though.
I help people have more retirement income and larger, more liquid estates.
Call in Canada 705-927-4770, or email email@example.com