Team Building Is An Important Skill
The first thing you learn about business is how to build a team. If you don’t learn that, life will be very difficult.
Why a team is better.
- Teams are better because individuals are imperfect. Some may be more skilled than others, but none are good at everything. Teams fill ithe gaps.
- Teams smooth out the emotions of each other. Business founder is a trying job. A little help goes a long way. It is easy to become caught up in both despair and euphoria. You need a cheerleader and someone to reign you in.
- Teams let you grow faster. There is only so much of you. You cannot work 18 hour days forever. My experience is 10-12 hours a day, 6 days a week is pushing the limit. Business only nurtures some of the things you need as a human.
- Teams have more ideas than you. Maybe not better, but definitely more. More ideas can help the best of them evolve. More shapes and emphasizes and discovers risk.
- Teams know more ways to communicate. Marketing is communication. Each of us a style and it won’t work with everyone you need to persuade.
- Teams are like a governor on a car. I know of a case where a business went to a trade show and the president sold nine months of production the first day. While he was out to lunch with a prospect, the other team members tore down the booth and shipped it home. He was unhappy, but came to realize that more sales was harmful. If you cannot deliver, you have a problem.
- Teams let you concentrate your time on what you do best. Learn how comparative advantage works. You might be a better engineer than Joe, but not by as much better as your are a better salesman than everyone. Why split your time towards an activity where you are only marginally better. Teams let you be your best-best.
The hard question for society.
If co-operation works best, why are we breaking our world into fractions that do not co-operate with the others?
We need more teambuilding and unity at the society level. We can recognize that some team members have a harder time of it and act on that. We cannot take our focus away form the real goal though.
You cannot increase health, harmony or wealth by dividing. Dividing always gives you a smaller result. Until such time as resources have no limit, we are foolish to behave as we are.
“The way a team plays as a whole determines its success. You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world, but if they don’t play together, the club won’t be worth a dime.” Babe Ruth
Your family is a team.
If you aren’t building a team, you are seeking failure. Our politicians should examine that thesis.
I help people have more retirement income and larger, more liquid estates.
Call in Canada 705-927-4770, or email email@example.com